A film by Guido Santi and Tina Mascara
“WILD APPLAUSE [Highest Rating]! This is the portrait of a marriage as full and enviable as the greatest unions in literature.”
-San Francisco Chronicle
This is the true-life story of the passionate three-decade relationship between British writer Christopher Isherwood (whose Berlin Stories was the basis forCabaret) and American portrait painter Don Bachardy, thirty years his junior. From Isherwood’s Kit-Kat-Club years in Weimar-era Germany to the sun-kissed beaches of 1950s Malibu, their against-all-odds saga is brought to life through reminiscences from Don and Hollywood friends such as Leslie Caron and John Boorman—plus rare home movies with legendary artists including W.H. Auden, Igor Stravinsky and Tennessee Williams. With Isherwood’s status as an out-and-proud gay hero, and Bachardy’s eventual artistic triumph away from the considerable shadow of his life partner, Chris & Don: A Love Story is above all a joyful celebration of a most extraordinary couple.
DVD SPECIAL FEATURES:
- 16:9 anamorphic transfer
- Additional home movies, including footage from the sets of The Rose Tattoo (1955) and King Vidor’s War and Peace (1956)
- Deleted sequences with Don Bachardy, including an interview on gay marriage
- Deleted interviews with actresses Leslie Caron (Gigi) and Gloria Stuart (Titanic), and filmmaker John Boorman (Point Blank)
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
- Stereo and 5.1 soundtracks
- U.S. theatrical trailer
- “Chris by Don”: An 8-page booklet of Bachardy’s selected paintings of Isherwood
We can only ship to addresses in the USA. If you wish to purchase this title in Canada please email us.