Over twenty five years, Zeitgeist Films has built an impressive collection of documentaries and feature films about philosophers, thinkers and intellectuals. To celebrate our 25th Anniversary and the DVD/digital releases of our new Slavoj Zizek documentary The Pervert’s Guide to Ideology (out Feb 18th) and biopic Hannah Arendt (out now), we are proud to announce our Great Minds PUPPET Dialogue Contest!
Simply come up with six lines of dialogue between “Hannah Arendt” and “Jacques Derrida” to fill in the conversation bubbles on the three interaction panels pictured below (puppets courtesy of our friends at The Unemployed Philosophers Guild). We're looking for scintillating, thought provoking and/or amusing dialogue, and the Best Conversation wins! The conversations can be witty, intellectual, satirical—you are only bound by the limits of your imagination (and good taste, of course). Actual quotes from Hannah Arendt and Jacques Derrida—if you wish to incorporate them—should be attributed as such.
Grand Prize (One awarded):
- The Pervert’s Guide to Ideology Tote and Movie Poster
- DVDs of Pervert’s Guide, Hannah Arendt, and Great Minds 6-disc set (includes documentaries Derrida, Examined Life, Manufacturing Consent, Zizek!, and more)
- Hannah Arendt’s Eichmann in Jerusalem (courtesy Penguin Classics)
- Zizek book trio: The Year of Dreaming Dangerously; Living in the End Times; and Less Than Nothing (courtesy Verso Press)
- Examined Life companion book, including conversations with Cornel West, Slavoj Zizek, Avital Ronell, Peter Singer and others (courtesy The New Press)
- Six “Magnetic Personalities” Finger Puppets: Arendt and Derrida; plus Hegel, Kant, Plato and Nietzsche (courtesy The Unemployed Philosopher’s Guild)
- Six “Quotable Notables” cards: Foucault, Wittgenstein, Socrates, Nietzsche, Simone de Beauvoir and Sarte (courtesy The Unemployed Philosopher’s Guild)
Runners-Up (Two awarded):
- The Pervert’s Guide to Ideology Tote
- Pervert’s Guide, Hannah Arendt, and Great Minds DVDs
- Arendt’s Eichmann in Jerusalem
- Choice of one Zizek book from Verso (see list above)
- Arendt and Derrida “Magnetic Personalities” Finger Puppets
HOW TO SUBMIT:
Send your dialogue as an attached document or in the body of an email to email@example.com in the following format:
If your entry qualifies, Zeitgeist will transfer your dialogue to the speech bubbles in the panels below and will post the images on our GREAT MINDS PUPPET DIALOGUE CONTEST Tumblr. While there is no minimum number of characters to include in each of the six bubbles, the maximum is 250 characters per bubble.
We will begin accepting entries on January 22, 2014. You must submit your entry via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM EST MARCH 7, 2014 [NEW EXTENDED DEADLINE]!
The Grand Prize Winner and Runners Up will be determined by a panel of film industry and academic judges assembled by Zeitgeist Films. All winners will be notified by March 31, 2014.
You must be 18 years of age or older to enter.
Employees and former employees of Zeitgeist Films, Ltd., are not eligible to enter.
Entrant, be it an individual or a team, may submit a maximum of two (2) entries. Any prize won by a team will be distributed to the team leader as indicated by the person who sends the entry.
You must have a Continental USA address for delivery of a prize in the event of your winning.
Entries will not be accepted after 11:59 PM EST on March 7, 2014.
By entering entrants warrant that to the best of their knowledge their entry is an original idea and it does not infringe on the intellectual property rights of any third party.
Participants must provide an email address where they may be reached for notification in case of winning. The winners will have one week to respond and supply a US mailing address, or another winner will be chosen.
Zeitgeist Films reserves the right to disqualify entries that fail to meet the entry requirements as described on this page. Zeitgeist Films also reserves the right to disqualify any entry deemed objectionable or obscene.
Entrants agree to abide by the terms of these official rules and by the decisions of Zeitgeist Films and the judges, which are final and binding on all matters pertaining to this contest.
Special thanks to The Unemployed Philosophers Guild, Penguin Classics, Verso Books and The New Press.